16 October 2009

Of Flags and Fridays

Being in Copenhagen does not prevent Friday syndrome, i.e.  the inexplicable urge to do nothing while thinking about how much there is to do in the next few days, feeling disgusted about how you poorly you've planned your day, and complaining about things you can't change, all while waiting for the real excitement of the evening to begin.


However, I had promised that this post wouldn't be a downer like the last one.  My host family got back from Dubai Wednesday, but before they got home, I woke up and noticed that someone had been to the house while I was asleep.  At least, that's if the bag on the doorstep and Danish flags planted along the driveway and in the wreath were any indication.  I've learned over the past two months that the flag is used pretty frequently:  birthdays, weddings, anniversaries, football games, royal birthdays, etc.  It's part of the pride that comes with both Danish homogeneity and having the oldest state flag in the world (which dates to the 13the century and is said to have fallen from heaven and inspired the Danes in a battle against the Estonians), and I have to admit that I'm a little jealous they can use their flag everywhere without looking like an arrogant tool.  Thankfully, I've never heard of flags being used in midnight attacks on unsuspecting residents, so I managed to smile and snap some photos instead of interpreting this particular display (which was a 'welcome home!' gift) as a threat to my life.

But it's certainly good to have my host-family back.  We shared pictures of our respective trips, and I learned about how insanely commercial Dubai is (which isn't really a surprise).  I also got to eat biksemad again (which was fantastic) and watch Rene use the new pineapple cutting tool that they got in Dubai.  I mean, who knew those even existed?  Granted, both Rene and Kirsten are pushing me on the language now, but I suppose I asked for it when I stated in my welcome letter that I was "super-excited to learn some Danish!"  It's much harder now that I'm actually here and my ears can't differentiate between common English phonemes and new Danish ones (especially vowels and a few silent consonants).  But I think I may know more than they think I do--especially when it comes to reading it.

I also went to the climate seminar that DIS held on Wednesday evening, which was meant to set the frame for COP15 in December.  I know a lot less about COP15 than I should, and the picture that the speaker painted wasn't exactly a pretty one.  There's only one more set of negotiations left (in Barcelona--WHILE I'LL BE THERE!), and the negotiators haven't really dug into the biggest issues (financing and mitigation for developing countries).  There's also the whole issue that everyone still loves coal, which wasn't something I was expecting to hear outside of the midwest.

2 comments:

  1. Here we talk about how the world "developing" may not even be the right word. And how it has all sorts of ethnocentric connotations. Being out of the western world is humbling.

    ReplyDelete
  2. we'll have to keep that on our list of things to talk about when we get back. i've never heard of "developing" as being an incorrect word, so I'd love to know more.

    it really is one of the biggest issues in the climate world, though: the idea that certain countries should be allowed to increase their GHG emissions because they need it to better themselves. it really just means that there's more pressure on the western world to decrease emissions, but that's easier said than done. i think everyone would have a hard time committing to the level of effect they're talking about is needed.

    ReplyDelete