15 September 2009

Vesterbro

Yesterday evening, I took my first jaunt through Vesterbro on my way to a meeting with the Danish Climate Movement.  Vesterbro is the southwest borrough of Copenhagen, and the area is lined with nearly mature trees and buildings that feel a bit more spacious than those in the city centre.  It's odd, because while the city centre consists of winding streets and tight buildings from the 17-1800's, Vesterbro looks like it's older--even though it was probably only built in the early to mid 20th century (at my best guess).

It seems to gradually be developing into a hip sort of place, and it feels more like a city of youth than the other borroughs do.  I'll have to explore it more another time, but my goal yesterday evening was to find the office and talk about climate with 3 Danes and several other DIS students.  It was good--just eating Danish butter cookies and working in the dark, inadvertently saving some energy (at least until someone noted the humor in it, and we turned on the lights).  Danish butter cookies, by the way, are not quite as good here as they are in the US.  They also don't come in giant tins.

P.S.  Dinner with my host family this evening was a delicious meal that consisted of a cubed potatoes with bacon, beef, and pork, sitting on top of traditional Danish black bread, topped with fried eggs and beets.  My host family added ketchup, but that's not really my thing.  I believe it might have been called something that sounded like bækesmad biksemad (with a soft 'd' that sounds more like an 'l').  I probably butchered that word.

2 comments:

  1. Biksemad is a dish to make when you need to clean your fridge. It translates freely into "just mix it together - food"

    Nothing special about that.

    ReplyDelete
  2. yeah, i was actually aware of the translation, despite the fact that my host family treats it as its own dish.

    I also come from a family in the states where those kinds of mixed meals are some of the better ones. Plus, many of the ingredients used are customary in American breakfasts. So the dish was familiar to me.

    ReplyDelete