26 October 2009

350


(completely awesome photo by Jasper Carlberg and featured on the NYT homepage!)

This is the first Monday evening in several weeks that I haven't spent with a group of students and Danish climate activists in a small office in Vesterbro.  While that in itself is a relief, it's even better to know that the event we were working towards--Copenhagen's part in 350.org's Global Day of Climate Action--was a great success on Saturday.

It's not that it didn't have its kinks: rain, permit communication issues, general volunteer confusion were all a part of the package.  But it just pulled off so well with dancing, cheering, the lovely army of Mr. Green, the solar-powered bicycle DJ Karmakonen, and lots of media attention.  Best of all, the 300-or-so people that showed up to our Copenhagen event were just a small portion of the people participating worldwide at over 5200 events in 181 countries.  2000 people showed up in Auckland, NZ alone.  I don't have much to say about all of this except that it just felt . . . powerful that there was such an enthusiastic turnout.

Check out photographic evidence and Danish description here.
Fellow DIS student Blaine also created an awesome frame-by-frame video!
P.S.  If you enlarge the photo, you can see me waving and holding the 350 banner in the back on the left side.

4 comments:

  1. Wow! I think I could make you out in the picture! Very cool. Have fun in Spain and Prague when you go. I know you will.:-)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Its Amazing! I love the picture. I too am interested in intern abroad. Please give me a few suggestions. I am currently working in an international cell phone service provider company in United States.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Dear Kim,

    I already have a cell phone while I'm abroad, but if you're actually looking to talk about international travel or internships, feel free to message my facebook account with questions.

    Good luck!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I am interested in contacting the person who took the photo in order to use it in a short article.... can you put me in touch? kgurney@purdue.edu

    ReplyDelete