12 December 2009

På Stranden



I finally took René's advice and went a walk all the way around the little peninsula that was formed (along with an inlet marshland) when the sea receded about two decades ago.  I'd been to the strand (beach) before, but never as far as the waterfowl nesting reserve on the south end, since I always felt like I was too busy to take the time.  I'm so grateful I decided to use this sunny, chilly day to so, and my walk confirmed a feeling I've had for a while:  southern Sjælland (the island where I live and where Copenhagen is) seems so much more tranquil and beautiful now that it's winter.  Maybe it's the cold stillness of the air, or the way the sun shines on the golden earth and through bare trees, always either rising or setting.  Or it could be a trick of the mind, where any day with clear skies and sun feels infinitely phenomenal after day after day of darkness and grey.  It could even be partly influenced by the joy in the Christmas atmosphere.  But whatever it is, I'm glad I'm here for it, and it's time I stop analyzing the magic and just live in it.



1 comment:

  1. Latest News from Jokenhagen: Tadzio Müller, spokeperson for Climate Justice Action, arrested shortly after a press conference given from within the Bella Center.

    ReplyDelete